Thursday, August 18, 2011

Is there a niche for college fashion?


And if so, where do I fit in?
While searching for tidbits of info and picture for Tuesday’s post, I came across this site:


(Screenshot of College Fashion’s front page taken by me)
Through that site I came to collegecandy.com, another site that focuses on style/fashion for college women among other topics.



(Screenshot of College Candy’s front page taken by me)
These 2 sites made me realize that I never really went searching for college-specific fashion sites. Oh, I read blogs like academichic.com, but those are run by grad students with families and houses and babies. Their fashion was way too upscale for me. 



(Screenshot of academichic’s category page taken by me. They recently quit posting, but their archives are awesome!)
Typing “college fashion” into Google gave me a HOST of options. Yeah there were some links to various college degrees in fashion, but these sites were there too:
fashionista.com
everycollegegirl.com
collegefashionista.com
thebudgetbabe.com
elle.com
college-style.com
I was done right? There is a ton of stuff about college fashion on the web. But as I scrolled through the sites I couldn’t help but think they weren’t talking to me. There were posts about trends, too much pink in their site design, references to “college girls” (I’m sorry, but I’m 21-year-old junior. I’m not a college girl anymore. I don’t think I ever was a college girl.), and many pictures of outfits that I would never ever wear.
Where’s my college fashion site? The ones for the college women who are not trendy, who spend more time reading than partying, who abhor pink, who know what they want in life, who are definitely not looking for a Mrs. degree, and who think that life after college is going to be so much better.
Where’s mine?
I’m not saying I don’t enjoy looking at those sites. I do, but they are not practical. I like practicality more than I like trendiness or flashiness. Maybe people who are practical don’t care about fashion. But I don’t really believe that—I think this is a fashionista in all of us to some extent.

Where are my fellow fashion-loving, practical college women? Let me hear from you!

(P.S. I’m flying home while you are reading this post! There may even be a daily outfit post tonight!)

No comments:

Post a Comment